What’s on this blog?
This isn’t strictly a book blog, but that’s definitely going to make up the crux of the content. I also like television a lot, probably more than is healthy, so I often will do reviews of TV shows I enjoyed. Book-wise I would say 98% of what I read is fantasy/scifi/YA, with a healthy smattering of non-fiction. Television-wise, my tastes run the gamut, though I will admit I am, for some reason, partial to The CW.
My name’s Hadeer. That’s ha-DEER. Literally, just, read it phonetically and we’ll be good to go. It’s Arabic, it means “roar of the ocean,” and it was the bane of my existence for a long time, but now I love it.
Both my parents are Egyptian, though family rumors will tell you that my father’s ancestors were horse-riding warriors from the Levant, Syria in particular. I choose to believe that; my mom chooses to roll her eyes and sigh heavily. I was born in Queens, NY, but even before I was one year old my parents had moved to Cairo, and then back to Queens, and so on. I went to twelve different schools before I graduated high school, and altogether I spent seven non-consecutive years in Cairo.
Odds & Ends:
- Librarian (sort of)
- B.A. History (2014); M.A. Higher Education & Student Affairs (2018); M.L.S. Masters in Library Science (2019)
- Bilingual English & Arabic
- Television fanatic
- Writer of SFF
- ya fantasy
- friendships between women
- f/f relationships
- dense worldbuilding
- vampires (sue me)
- iced coffee
- gender studies
- theater (esp. natasha, pierre, and the great comet of 1812)
- postcolonial theory
- the ocean
~these are a few of my favorite things~
- movies: pride & prejudice, tangled, an education, death at a funeral, wild target
- music: the moulettes, mashrou’ leila, alsarah and the nubatones, florence and the machine, regina spektor, stars, olenka and the autumn lovers, tasseomancy, katzenjammer, pearl and the beard
- actors: nina dobrev, lily james, cillian murphy, jasmine cephas jones, jenna coleman, elliot knight, adelaide kane, tom burke, angel coulby, brit marling, elliot cowan, colin morgan, jessica brown findlay, tom hiddleston
Hadeer Elsbai is an Egyptian-American writer and librarian who grew up being shuffled between Cairo and Queens. In addition to writing, Hadeer enjoys cats, television, eldritch abominations, and calling herself a Cairene. Like any proper diaspora kid, she’s obsessed with mangoes. Find her on Twitter @HadeerElsbai.